In the US, 1 in 5 people will struggle with mental illness each year so in this episode we are looking at why mental illness and mental health are so stigmatized, how the media adds to this stereotype, and how we can help fight these stigmas ourselves.
- How mental health stigmas began
- The damage these stigmas cause
- Mental health stigmas in minority communities
- How the media portrays mental health
- How you can affect change on these stereotypes
if we want to end or even just reduce the stigma around mental illness and mental health, then we need to recognize that we have it and we need to catch ourselves when those things happen. The only person we can focus on improving is ourselves by catching ourselves. – Gregg Clunis